Nov 16, 2015

Sassy's Fangirl Debuts ~ Interview with Kim Savage


Welcome to Sassy's Fangirl Debuts, a feature event where I introduce you to this years and next years debut authors! Grab some popcorn and have your Goodreads page open because there are some wonderful new authors and books coming out soon! 

This week of Sassy’s Fangirl Debuts, we are having the wonderful Kim Savage, YA author of After the Woods, which releases on February 23rd of  next year!




Title: After the Woods
Author: Kim Savage
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller
Release Date: February 23rd, 2016
Publisher:  Farrar, Straus and Giroux
An emotionally-charged debut novel about the deadly lies hidden beneath a destructive friendship.
One year ago, two best friends, Liv and Julia, were attacked in the woods by a paroled predator. In an attempt to save Liv, Julia was left behind while Liv escaped. After spending three days in the woods trying to escape her abductor, Julia was rescued. She only remembers what happened in the woods in terrifying flashbacks. Now, on the eve of the anniversary of the attack, a body is found in the woods. This discovery rips open fresh wounds between the two girls as the truth about Liv's role in the kidnapping is revealed.


Hi Kim! Thank you so much for stopping by the blog today! Let's get started, shall we? ;)


1. How many years have you been writing that lead up to your upcoming forthcoming release?

I’ve been writing fiction for about five years, but before that, I was a reporter. The training I got working for newspapers and in J-school shaped my writing, and my story-telling, for the better.

2. Have you always wanted to write YA thrillers or are you hoping to venture out into other genres? 

I call After the Woods psychological suspense, which is my favorite genre to read. My next two books are within this genre, but I have historical fiction, horror, and humor up my sleeve. Whether I’ll get to those books in this lifetime is another question.

3. What was some of the research you did for your forthcoming novel, After the Woods? Did you find something that stuck with you?

To get Julia’s PTSD right, I read autobiographies of girls who were abducted and came back: Elizabeth Smart, Jaycee Duggard, and Michelle Knight. I also watched hours of interview footage, to get the girls’ physicality, but also a sense of the media’s treatment of them. 

The woods in ATW is inspired by the Middlesex Fells Reservation, 2,500+ acres of state park spanning five towns in Massachusetts, one of which is my town. I spent many hours there, at different times of day and in different weather, to experience what Julia experiences. Despite its title, the novel starts in the woods. If you'd like an itty-bitty sneak-peek at that first scene, check it out: HERE! 

4. Not only was I hooked by your synopsis for After the Woods, but your gorgeous cover also caught my attention! During the design process, were you able to voice your opinion on what you wanted? Or did it go a different way?

The cover was designed by Beth Clark, Macmillan’s art director. Beth captured the novel’s eeriness and sensuality perfectly. I also love that it’s as though Julia is in a chrysalis, ready to be reborn. To me, that’s exactly right.

5. Now that your debut is close to releasing (EEEK!), are you currently working on anything new? If so, can you give a hint of what you’re working on? 

My second novel with FSG/Macmillan is about a boy whose great love dies suddenly, alongside her sister. He receives a post-mortem letter that sends him on a journey to find out what really happened during the last year of her life. Think Romeo and Juliet meets Thirteen Reasons Why, but with a big, fat twist. I just saw the cover: it’s unlike any I have ever seen. Beautiful, disturbing, and moving, all at once. I cried.  


Thank you once again for stopping by the blog today, Kim! It was so lovely having you! Guys, if you haven’t already added this one to your TBR and or pre-ordered it, you should! This one sounds like it won’t disappoint!


Kim Savage is the author of AFTER THE WOODS, a debut psychological thriller for young adults coming on Feb 23, 2016 with Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Macmillan. Her second thriller for young adults comes from FSG is 2017. Before writing fiction, she worked as business journalist, pitching stories along the lines of “Stigmatized Properties: When Murder Kills Property Values”. You get the idea.

CONNECT WITH KIM SAVAGE!



Happy reading!




2 comments :

  1. I'm so excited for this book! And that's huge for me because I'm not a thriller person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! After the Woods sounds so interesting, it's been on my TBR for a while =)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!