Oct 6, 2015

| ARC REVIEW | A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis

Happy Tuesday!


The day has just began, but I already feel like it's going to be full of craziness. I have so many things to do, but as stressful as it is sometimes, I absolutely love what I do! :)

The other day, I was finally able to write up my review for this ARC copy and I am so excited to share it with you all. It literally took me two days to write how I felt about this book, but I don't think my words will do justice for how much I loved it. Scroll on down and take a look for yourself! ;)


Title: A Madness So Discreet
Author: Mindy McGinnis
Genre: Young Adult, Thriller, Mystery
Release Date: October 6th, 2015
Publisher:  Katherine Tegen Books
MY RATING: 5 INSANE STARS
ADD TO GOODREADS 
Grace Mae knows madness. She keeps it locked away, along with her voice, trapped deep inside a brilliant mind that cannot forget horrific family secrets. Those secrets, along with the bulge in her belly, land her in a Boston insane asylum. When her voice returns in a burst of violence, Grace is banished to the dark cellars, where her mind is discovered by a visiting doctor who dabbles in the new study of criminal psychology. With her keen eyes and sharp memory, Grace will make the perfect assistant at crime scenes. Escaping from Boston to the safety of an ethical Ohio asylum, Grace finds friendship and hope, hints of a life she should have had. But gruesome nights bring Grace and the doctor into the circle of a killer who stalks young women. Grace, continuing to operate under the cloak of madness, must hunt a murderer while she confronts the demons in her own past.
There is no denying that  A Madness So Discreet was one of the most thrilling and riveting novels I've had the chance to read in the year of 2015 and I will most definitely be the first in line to read more from this author!



Having heard a lot about author Mindy McGinnis and her Not a Drop to Drink series, I was eager to see what all the hype was about with her upcoming release, A Madness So Discreet. So imagine my surprise and excitement when I was given the opportunity to review this book! You know for sure that I jumped at that wonderful oppurtunity!

This novel tells of Grace Mae, a teenage girl who has been sent to the asylum by her family, though other's have been told she is on a European vacation, when in fact she has been impregnated by someone close to her. When her voice returns in a burst of anger and violence, Grace is banished to the dark cellars alongside the most insane. 

Down there, she attracts the attention of a doctor who is fascinated in criminal psychology and he quickly realizes he could leverage Grace’s keen intelligence to dissect crime scenes because of her sharp memory and eyes. Soon after, she escapes the horrors of the Boston asylum and finds herself in Ohio and in a more ethical institution, as she aids the doctor at crime scenes and tries to unravel the mystery of a serial killer...

Haunting. Horrific. Exciting. Heart-pounding. Thrilling. Those were just some of the words that were running through my head as I read page after page of this novel in just one sitting. There is no denying that A Madness So Discreet was one of the most thrilling and riveting novels I've had the chance to read in the year of 2015 and I will definitely be the first in line to read more from this author!

McGinnis's writing style is straightforward and precise, creating an exciting, fast-paced and thrilling story that is sure to capture even the most reluctant reader. The dialogue was one of the many things that captured me the most about this book. Even though it is based around terrible unfortunate events, there still was some fun humor/dialogue and it always got me to either crack a smile or belt out a laugh. The concept of this novel was a perfect read for the fall season, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the majority of it while the weather was dark and dreary! Ah, gotta love the autumn season, right?

With our main character, Grace is extremely compelling and easy to connect with due to her fierce intelligence, determination and strength of spirit. Grace's situation is one that will have readers horrified and sympathetic all wrapped into one, and that was exactly how I felt while reading. Her bravery, maturity, and grace under horrific suffering, captivated me. The author gracefully captured each moment in breathtaking and agonizing detail until the main character's every emotion and thought begin to feel real. 

Not only was I compelled to our main character, but also to Dr. Thornhollow. Kind, smart, driven and determined, Thornhollow was an intriguing character that I truly enjoyed reading about. However, the one thing I disliked about this book was how we didn't get to see more into the life of this handsome and intriguing doctor! With that being said, I highly enjoyed the relationship Dr. Thornhollow and Grace had and if there were to be a second book, I assure you, I will be rooting for them!

Overall, A Madness So Discreet was a thrilling novel and though dark and twisted, it left me anxious and yearning to find out what would happen next. This novel is sure to bring you out of your reading slump and send chills down your spine. Definitely a must-read for the upcoming Halloween season!



What do you guys think? Will you be picking up this novel? What are some of your favorite spooky reads for the Halloween/Fall season? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! <3


Happy reading!





8 comments :

  1. Great review. I loved Not A Drop To Drink, so I will definitely be picking this one up (hopefully today).

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear that you liked Mindy's other series. I have yet to read it, but after finishing this book, I'm pretty sure I will be picking it up very soon! Can't wait to see what you think of A Madness So Discreet if you get the chance to pick it up! <3

      Delete
  2. Great Review Talina! So happy to see you enjoyed this one (since I've been eyeing it as well.) Definitely going to be picking it up when it releases this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Faith! I do hope you'll give it a read because it was soo good! I'd love to talk about it more when you've finished reading it! :)

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to pick this one up! I have been looking forward to it for ages. So Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to read it because I'd love to hear what your thoughts on it are! :) Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I feel like reading (or reviewing) this one recently! It makes me so much more excited to read it! And of course, I'm so glad to hear you found it so insanely good. Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've never heard about the author till now but the synopsis is very intriguing! plus your review even made me want to read it more omG. IT SOUNDS LIKE A BOOK I WILL ENJOY READING. ADDING THIS ON MY TO BE READ NOW.

    also can we talk about how pretty the cover is? *drools*

    great review!

    isha @ two sisters bloggin'

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!