Sep 6, 2015

| ARC Review + Book Eye Candy | This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee

Happy Monday!


Ah, what a great weekend that was! On Friday, I acquired a new bookshelf, (muahahah) and on Saturday, I hosted my #SS15 chat and was accepted to review Fire Falling by Elise Kova, the second book to a series that I love! Sounds like an awesome weekend, right?!

With my #SS15, not only did lots of people join and love it, but it also was trending at #2! Another thing? My hashtag #SassyLove trended at #2 as well! WOW! That is all I have to say! If you don't know, #SassyLove is a hashtag I created to spread positivity throughout the community and everyone participated in tweeting out a sweet message and I still can't believe we got it trending. Unbelievable!

Now, to start my Monday off, I am going to be sharing a review of one of my most anticipated reads of this year. Pop a squat and get ready for some book lovin'!


Title: This Monstrous Thing
Author: Mackenzi Lee
Genre: Young Adult, Retellings, Steampunk
Release Date: September 22nd, 2015
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

MY RATING: 5 MIND-BLOWING FRANKENSTEIN'S

In 1818 Geneva, men built with clockwork parts live hidden away from society, cared for only by illegal mechanics called Shadow Boys. Two years ago, Shadow Boy Alasdair Finch’s life shattered to bits. His brother, Oliver—dead. His sweetheart, Mary—gone. His chance to break free of Geneva—lost. Heart-broken and desperate, Alasdair does the unthinkable: He brings Oliver back from the dead. But putting back together a broken life is more difficult than mending bones and adding clockwork pieces. Oliver returns more monster than man, and Alasdair’s horror further damages the already troubled relationship. Then comes the publication of Frankenstein and the city intensifies its search for Shadow Boys, aiming to discover the real life doctor and his monster. Alasdair finds refuge with his idol, the brilliant Dr. Geisler, who may offer him a way to escape the dangerous present and his guilt-ridden past, but at a horrible price only Oliver can pay…


"With a twist on classical literature, Mackenzi Lee's debut release will leave you utterly         breathless and wanting more!" 


I had come across this book through a Twitter chat and the minute I saw it, I wanted it. The cover just screamed my name and I couldn't stop the growing anticipation for it. I just had the gut feeling that this book would be the "one" for me, and I was right! 

This Monstrous Thing takes place in 1818, Geneva. Hidden away from society are men built with clockwork parts, only cared and treated for by the Shadow Boys, illegal mechanics. 

Shadow Boy Alasdair Finch has lost everything he has ever cared about or wanted, but suddenly, Alsdair does something no one has ever accomplished. He has brought his brother Oliver, back from the dead. Things start to go horribly wrong for Alsdair, and he is left with a decision that could once again make him lose everything he's cared about.  

When I received a package from Harper Collins and saw that I had gotten an early copy of this book, you bet your sweet butt I dropped everything I was doing and read this! I literally finished this in one sitting and right now I am suffering a major book hangover! 

Lee's writing style was so unique and vivid, I didn't want to stop reading for anything, not even for sleep or to eat. I was left turning page after page and just wondering what would happen next. The character dialogue was also another aspect that I loved about this book. At times, it would get me emotional because of how real it felt. The characters pain brought me pain and the characters happiness brought me happiness and damn, I applaud the author for having the skill to do that.  


With our main character Alsadair Finch, what an intriguing character! Not only did I love getting to know him and his story, but I also loved getting to feel every emotion of his. Usually when reading, I come across books that just tell the characters emotions, but with Alsdair, I literally felt what he was feeling and I've never had that before. I've never connected so much with a character before and a week and a half after reading it, I can still feel all of my emotions running wild about this book and it's characters. Overall, the author wrote a great, relatable main character and I definitely consider him one of my favorites now!

The next character is another important one and that is Oliver, our beloved monster. For me, I'm one of those girl's that will sometimes like the bad guy more than the hero. (Loki, anyone?) But with Oliver, I never saw him as a bad guy. I saw him as a beautiful, broken, human being that just wanted to be free and loved and I think that is why I adored him so much. There were moments in the book where I wanted to read his story; to get inside of his head and to connect with him even more. Even though we don't see a lot of him throughout the book, I loved this character and I am positive others will too!

Another character we see in the story is Clémence, a female companion that Alsadair met. Even though I knew not to expect any romance in this book, I still completely shipped these two characters together. Clémence was a strong, independent and smart character and I loved those things about her! She was one of those girls that you instantly want to be friends with and that was exactly how I felt about her. I loved seeing how Alsdair and Clémence connected, and in my fan-girl dreams, I most definitely picture them together. *happily sighs*


This book was one of my most anticipated reads of this year so far and I am so happy to say that it did not disappoint! It had everything I wanted: suspense, great relatable characters and a perfect ending. If you enjoy steampunks with a twist of classical literature, I highly recommend you guys checking this book out. I promise, you will not be disappointed! 



Now that the professional review is done with...let's start the fangirling, shall we...? 


Just look at that cover guys! Doesn't it look absolutely stunning? I swear, if I could, I would hug every person that works at Harper Collins. YOU GUYS ARE THE REASON I HAVE THIS BOOK AND I LOVE YOU

Sometimes I'll just look up there at my shelf and when I see the spine of it, I think "Wow girl, you're one lucky chick." And I am!

This book was such...an amazing read. *sighs* I promise you guys, if you pick this up (trust me, you'll want to when you see how gorgeous the hardcover is!), you will not be disappointed. This book will make you feel so many emotions, even once you're done with it. 

Just do me a favor. Pre-order this book. Read it. Love it. Review it. You will not regret it. 

P.S. You can find more bookish eye candy like this on my Instagram page, HERE

Happy reading!


4 comments :

  1. Great review girl. From your insta, you've got me pining for this book like no tomorrow. I'm starting to love urban fantasy or even like thrillers more now so I'm sure this is the perfect read for me. And, of course, you're reading taste can be trusted.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alex! Oh yes, if you're liking fantasy and thrillers, I highly suggest picking this up because it was perfect! I hope you like it as much as I did! :D Aw, thank you for that!

      Delete
  2. You along with some other readers have absolutely loved this book which makes me want to read it THAT much more. I've always been intrigued by the story of Frankenstein, and I can't help but to squeal at the fact that he tried to bring his brother back from the DEAD. This book just scream ME. Alsdair come to me my darlingggg. Great review Talina, I'll be fangirling with you on twitter when I finally pick this up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. And yes! It's definitely squeal worthy when you find out he tries to do that. PICK IT UP SOON MY DARLING CHICA. YOU WON'T REGRET IT! Aw, thank you so much boo! Can not wait for the fangirl session! ;D

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!