Mar 4, 2015

How I Fell in Love With Literature - World Book Day Campaign Entry!

Happy Wednesday!


I'm seriously loving this week! So many awesome things happened that I've been over the moon! One of the things that happened this week is what I'm going to talk about today!

Just recently I got contacted and asked if I would like to share my story in how I came to love literature and how it inspired me to blog in the My Voucher Code's and World Book Day campaign. I of course could not refuse, so here is my entry for the campaign! :)

Don't forget to check out the My Voucher Code's website and the World Book Day's website!




"The End..." My eyes slowly skimmed over those two, heart breaking and dreadful words as I closed the first book I had ever read and turned off the flashlight. I  placed it on the shelf and sat there, letting everything I read flash through my mind.

365 Bedtime Stories by Disney. That was the book that introduced me to my love for literature and writing.

Every night my mom would read me a story from that book and every night I would beg that she read me another one.  But, she wanted all 365 stories to last the entire year, so of course, she said no and tucked me in for bed. 

The minute my mother shut my bedroom door, I would quietly jump out of bed, grab my flashlight and the book then waddle back to bed, excited to jump into another fun filled adventure from Disney!

Growing up, I never really had any friends, and it didn't help that I was a really shy person. So, like any other kid, all I wanted was to find something fun and adventurous to do to escape the long and hot, boring summer days.

from an early age I found out that reading was that escape for me. At odd times of the day you could find me tucked away in the closet with my book and a flashlight, or outside with my legs gently swaying in the pool with a copy of Alice in Wonderland in my hands. 

Anyone who saw me would always see that I had either a book in my hand or sometimes even a notebook, jotting down ideas for my own stories. As I grew, so did my love for books. I would become fascinated with my mother's collection of books and as the years passed, she let me read a few of the ones she had. By that time I knew one thing...I wanted more.

At the age of thirteen, I went to a bookstore called A Page in the Sun and I stayed there for hours, just admiring the books on the perfectly straight shelves and letting my fingers trail across the rough spines of almost every book.

I ended up buying a dozen books that day and almost giving my dad a heart attack in the process! Let's just say he was happy he didn't leave me alone with his credit card!

In the summer of 2014, I experienced something every girl went through: a period where we wanted adventure. Something new in our lives. For me, my days only consisted of school, my workout activities, and a little bit of time to myself in the evening. I thought that it was time for something new.

That new thing came in the form of a book blog called Sassy & Dangerous. I decided to create a blog because my family had always told me I was good with words, either with expressing my opinion or writing up a novel, so I thought, why not?

So many ideas were jumping around in my head about what to do first with my blog, what review to write up, how to design it... it was hard to even think straight.

Eventually, I calmed my thoughts down just enough to write up my first review, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and even though it wasn't a five star review and even though I disliked the book with a passion, I was proud of myself. Why? Because for the first time ever, I didn't feel nervous or shy. I didn't care if people disagreed with me; I was going to stick with what I believed in.

As the months flew by, I gained more confidence with myself. I spoke to more book bloggers, got in contact with tons of great authors and publishers, and even had one of my all time favorite authors on my blog!

I've learned a lot of things from reading and from blogging. I learned that having an opinion is important, I learned that not everyone is going to respect and agree with you, and I learned that it's okay to get out of your comfort zone once in awhile and try something new which, of course, led me to book blogging.

One thing I do know is that literature will always be an important part of my life. Being able to jump into a different world, forgetting reality for even the smallest second, and getting to know all these wonderful, empowering characters...it's literally a dream come true and I would never give it up.

I also know for a fact that I will be a strong, smart, and hopefully an inspiring woman because of what books have taught me. Being there for family or friends, being courageous and never letting fear or people bring you down, and most importantly...loyalty and kindness.




So, that's my story. What's yours? Let me know in the comments below if you also entered this wonderful campaign. I'd love to see your stories! 


Happy reading!


4 comments :

  1. I started reading books - proper, chapter books - at the age of six. It's super early, I know, but I had a lot of big life changes going on around me then, and books gave me a place to escape to. They still do; whenever I feel down or stressed you'll find me stuck in a book. Thinking about other people's problems (in this case the character's) distracts me from whatever is bothering me. And that is why I read!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, at age six? That's amazing! Books give me a place to escape too, which is a wonderful thing. What a great reason to why you read! :) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It as so good to see your journey to becoming the bookworm you are! And I am glad to know that you started reading at such a young age from the encouragement of your mother. How nice that you can remember the exact book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia! :) Haha, yeah it is. I've had it for years now, and it's still in my library. :)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!