Jan 9, 2015

The First Man: An Enlightened Journey (Book 1) by Tobias Wade | Review |

Happy Friday!


I'm finally recovering from my cold! It's been a hard few days for me and the family. Every has been sick, (thanks to my lovely brother!), and we're all recovering, which is pretty good! And of course, I got it the worst.

My cold started with a sore throat and some sneezing, but the next day, it ended up going to my chest which hurt like hell.

I finally finished this book and I managed to write a review the same day! Sweet lord, I am on a roll! Continue scrolling for my review!


Title: The First Man: An Enlightened Journey (Book 1)
Author: Tobias Wade
Genre: Young Adult, Adventure, Fantasy
Publisher:  W & B Publishers

RATING: 3.5 FLAMING STARS!
Farris Mathalion did not believe in the old stories, not until her own brother was kidnapped by monsters to send her on a fantastical journey. She travels both within the mind and without, taking a path of harrowing adventure and personal enlightenment as she strives to rescue him.

THE FIRST MAN is the first volume in a two-part young adult/fantasy series that can be read on many different levels; whether the reader appreciates the excitement of the many fast-paced action scenes, the surreal beauty and mystery of new worlds, the philosophical musings of the guides along the way, or the spiritual path of overcoming reality that Farris finds before her.

She will travel through the seven kingdoms of the earth, each woven into the deep mythology of the land she passes, and each representative of one aspect of spiritual enlightenment.

In the first volume she passes through the surface world as well as the lands of fear, pleasure and illusion below the earth. She is accompanied in her journeys by a variety of strange creatures, including her faithful pet goat Bumble, Gloria the magical fish, and a romantic interest that makes uncertain love and looming betrayal pervasive themes throughout.



I'm a girl who judges a book by it's cover. Seeing the cover of this book, it didn't draw me in. But after reading the synopsis, I was intrigued. I dove into this book hoping I wouldn't be disappointed, and I wasn't entirely. There were; however, moments where I found myself bored to the point I would put the book down. 

There were also moments where I would find grammatical errors, but nothing major. The author portrayed good characters, a great plot, and a good ending. Even though it wasn't the best book for me, I will probably be picking up the second book in the series.  




Farris: To be honest, I didn't like Farris as much. She was stubborn, rude, and would not listen to what anyone had to say and it annoyed me. I know she just wanted to find her brother and get the heck out of that world, but, it still gave her no right to be rude to Sasha and Riften, the people who were there to help her. I understand she just wanted to do the right thing in finding her brother, but still..I secretly hoped something would happen to  her.



Sasha & Riften: I always tend to like the love interest better than the main character! Even though he's not a big character in this book, when reading about him, I couldn't pull myself away. I loved the chapters where it would be in his point of view. I found it to be interesting and quite enjoyable! 

Riften is also not a big character, but I found him to be quite amusing. He made me smile in some parts of the story which was well needed!


The First Man was a good read and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy and adventure filled novel.



What about you guys? Have you picked up this book? If not, will you? Let me know in the comments below! 


Happy reading!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!