Across the Universe by Beth Revis |Review|


Happy Sunday!

My week has been quite a good one! On Friday night, I found out that I won a contest for $100 dollars! My sister also won and my brother did too! And just yesterday, I got an e-mail saying I was a winner of a $10 GC or I could use Paypal! And oh my god, just a few minutes ago I found out I won another contest for $50 dollars!  I love 2015 already. ;)




Today took an interesting turn of events though. My computer decided to be a bitch and not turn on. Kind of gave me a heart attack because the turn on button would not work. Five minutes passed, I got a little worried. Ten minutes, I’m biting my finger nails, Twenty minutes and I’m already peeing myself. Eventually, my Dad got it to work. *happy dance* Later on tonight I am so backing up my files! 

I also went down to the pool to write up this blog post, which definitely surprised me. My Dad and sister also came along which was fun. (Thank you Dad! I'll make you oatmeal cookies tomorrow!) :) 

Over a year ago, I found this book in the bookstore, but I hadn't realized it was the book I was eyeing a few years back. You can guess my excitement when I found out it was indeed the book! Continue scrolling to read my review!


Title: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Author: Beth Revis
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction
Release Date: January 11th, 2011
Publisher:  Razorbill

RATING: 4 GOLDEN STARS!
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. 

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming. 



                         “I felt the finality of the lid trapping me inside my Snow White coffin.”  

A year ago, I got this book at the library and at the time, I hadn’t realized it was a book I had eyed a few years back. Once I did, I got all excited and jumped up and down like a little school girl.  I usually never read anything with Science Fiction, but being the big romance and mystery lover that I am, I jumped into this book and I didn’t want to be let out anytime soon! The author developed such an intriguing plot and characters, you just simply can’t put it down. The different POV's also caught my attention. I enjoyed being able to see inside Amy's head and understanding how she felt on a spaceship full of all these strange people, but I also enjoyed going inside Elder's head and seeing the feelings he felt toward Godspeed and the people.

It was easy for me to imagine the Godspeed. I could picture everything so well, the cryo chamber where Amy and her parents where frozen, the Grav Tube; everything. When an author has the ability to put an image like that in my head, they just gained a new fan. 

                               Overall, Beth Revis's books will always be a MUST-READ from me!  


Amy: When I first met Amy, I felt bad for her. Leaving her home behind to travel on a spaceship for 300 years? And then wake up fifty years before the ship lands? Well, I think this is the part where I am happy I'm not her! 

Amy is a feisty, stubborn girl and that made me like her. She stood up for herself against Eldest, who, wanted everything to be his way on the ship. However, I did not like how there was a murderer on the ship, trying to kill Amy and all the other frozen's, and yet Amy was worried about waking her parents up and getting a few smooches from Elder. 


Throughout the entire book she would whine about her 'daddy' being frozen and her boyfriend from Earth who was obviously dead by then. But what really got me was how she barely thought about her mom. You can see the love she has for her.. note the sarcasm.

The only trait that I loved about her was when she would stand up for herself and decide between right and wrong with what Eldest was doing to the Shipborn people.  

Overall, Amy was an alright character. I didn't like her, but I didn't hate her either. Amy, just get back to smooching Elder! After, you find the killer of course.

Elder: Why couldn't I have him under my Christmas tree all wrapped up in a pretty red bow? I loved reading Elder's POV more than Amy's because it was longer and definitely a lot more interesting. I can somewhat understand why Elder fell for Amy. She's gorgeous with that glowing red hair and pale skin. *eye roll* But, she's also annoying. I would have thrown  the freaking book itself at her whenever she brought up wanting to unfreeze her parents or how wrong everything was on the ship. 



Elder was a decent guy. I wouldn't consider him to be a book boyfriend of mine since there wasn't a lot of romance between the two main characters going on, but I did enjoy him. 


Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who's interested in a book filled with mystery and a tiny touch of romance. Even though I didn't enjoy the characters as I had hoped, it still was a good book!


What do you guys think? Have you read this book? If so, how did you feel about it? Let me know in the comments below. I'd love to hear what you think!  

Happy reading! 



1 comment

  1. I absolutely love this book! (or series, I love the second one as well, haven't read the third). It was such a thought provoking read, and the society was so messed up. I felt like it bore an important message as well :)

    I'm glad you liked this book!

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Latest Instagrams