Sep 1, 2014

Author Interview with YA Author Pembroke Sinclair!

Happy Tuesday! 


I can not believe it's already September! I hope everyone had a great summer! 


Today, I am thrilled to have author Pembroke Sinclair stop over at my blog for an author interview! Keep on reading to find out more about Pembroke and her recent YA book The Appeal of Evil! 











Title: The Appeal of Evil
Author: Pembroke Sinclair
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Pages: Papberback, 210 pages
Publisher: Booktrope Editions
Publication Date: January 13th 2014
Buy Links: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |
Katie wants to invest her heart and soul in love, but she may lose both to Hell.

Katie, a senior in high school, is torn between loving the "good" guy, her childhood friend Wes who makes promises he doesn't keep and abandons her when she needs him the most, and the "bad" guy, the new kid at school Josh who is also a real demon from Hell. Katie wants someone who pays attention to her and puts her first, but what is she willing to give up to find him?



                                                                         
                                                   
      
                                                          

                        





1. Tell us about your main character. Who is Katie?

Katie is a high school senior who is trying to figure out love and life and inadvertently finds herself in a war between Heaven and Hell.

2. Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Yes, but it’s only been recently that I claim to be one.  When I was younger, I remember going to visit my family in Iowa, and my grandma had an electric typewriter.  I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, so I would type out stories on it, then edit them quickly so I could go back and type more. 

In high school, I wrote my stories in a spiral notebook so it looked like I was taking notes during class. 
When I got to college, I took as many writing classes and workshops as I could.  

There, I was discouraged by some professors and questioned my ability to write, so I started focusing on editing instead.  I figured if I wasn't good enough to write, I could still help other writers. 

When I graduated, I had a friend who encouraged me to try writing again, so I did.  I submitted a few things that got accepted and became addicted, so I started writing again, and the rest is history.

3. How often do you like to write?

I write every day at my day job, but finding time to do my personal stuff is sometimes challenging.  With a full-time job and a family, there just aren't enough hours in the day, but I do my best to get something on paper or to get something edited.

4. What inspired you to write The Appeal of Evil?

I am fascinated with the idea that women in society fall for the “bad boys” with the idea that they are going to change them.  It got me to thinking: what if the bad boy was really bad, like demon from Hell bad, and the story was born.

5.  What made you want to write Children’s books and Young Adult books?

I fell into writing YA books.  I had a zombie novel that I was querying agents with, and an agent suggested I make it YA, so I did.  Since then, it’s been fun for me to think about how teens view the world and how their inexperience shapes their views. 

For my children’s books, I started writing those to entertain my two sons.

6. Do you listen to music when you write? If so, who?

I don’t.  I used to, but anymore I find it distracting.  I like it to be completely silent while I write so I can hear the voices in my head clearly.

7. What are three things your reader doesn’t know about your book?

1.  My husband, who always reads everything I’ve ever written, couldn’t make it through the book.  He thought Katie was too whiny and it drove him crazy.

2.  It was supposed to be one book, but Katie’s story was too big to tell.

3.  The Appeal of Evil is the first of a trilogy—so be ready for two more books! 

8. Can you describe your book in three words or less?

Demons and love?

9. Are any of your characters inspired by real people in your life?

You know, in a way, all characters are inspired by real people.  Whether it’s a strange personality quirk of a coworker or a phrase a family member says all the time, but they are combinations of things I experience on a day-to-day basis.  

If you’re asking if any of my characters are carbon copies of real people in my life, no they aren’t.

10. Who are your favorite authors?

I have a ton of favorite authors.  When I was young, it was Christopher Pike.  I also really like Piers Anthony, and the classics such as C.S. Lewis and Lewis Carroll.  I’m also a big fan of Mary Roach.

11. In your opinion, what is the best thing about being an author?

Creating my own worlds and escaping reality.  But that’s also why I enjoy reading.

12. Will be there a sequel for The Appeal of Evil? If so, can you give a sneak peek as to what’s to come?


Yes, there is a sequel to The Appeal of Evil.  It’s called Dealing with Devils.  For a sneak peek: Katie gets to explore the world of demons further.



                                                                             

I am an editor by day and a zombie-killer by night (at least in my books). Since the first time I watched Night of the Living Dead, I have been obsessed with zombies and I often think of ways to survive the uprising. 

I have written YA novels about zombies and the tough teens who survive the apocalyptic world, along with adult novels in the sci fi and fantasy genres. I have also written kids' books under the pen name J.D. Pooker.

I have written nonfiction stories for Serial Killer Magazine and published a book about slasher films called Life Lessons from Slasher Films under my real name.





                                                    Connect With Pembroke Sinclair! 

                                           | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Google + | Blog |



I want to thank Pembroke and her PA, Pamela, for this interview. Can't wait to hear about your upcoming releases! 


Feel free to leave a comment and let Pembroke know how wickedly hot her cover guy is! 


Happy reading! 





2 comments :

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!