Jul 8, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Review

Happy Tuesday!

Here is my review on The Fault In Our Stars. Please do remember that this is MY PERSONAL opinion. If you can not handle a semi harsh opinion, then feel free to close this out.







Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Genre: YA, Romance, Fiction
Release Date: January 10th, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
My Rating: 0 Stars
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten..





                                                                     


At first, I thought, wow, what is all the hype about this book? Maybe I should give read it. Worst. Idea. Ever. The writing was so freaking cheesy I thought I’d cry, the romance was too fast paced, and the way the author portrayed his characters made me cringe and want to bash my head into the wall.

The writing was very dull, cheesy, and just didn't intrigue me at all. It was predictable, and it was slow and dull. It was like reading Twilight all over again, but instead of reading about an attention seeking girl, and her somewhat freaky vampire boyfriend, I was reading about Bella's boring twin sister and a one legged pirate. I could go on and on..




                                                                     

Hazel: To me, I found her very, very dull. The way she interacted with her family, with Augustus and other people, it bothered me. She acted like she was a grown woman stuck in a sixteen year old's body. I wanted to smack her with the freaking book itself every time she opened her mouth.  After the first twenty pages, I kept asking myself, “Is this what people are calling a good book?”

 Don’t even get me started on when they first met. What kind of person goes to someone’s house after they just met them? An IDIOT. Like hello, she even said so herself that he could be a murderer or a rapist!  Plus, they are only teenagers. How can a sixteen year and a seventeen year old fall in love with each other in just one month?

The hostess’s eyes lit up as Augustus and I walked toward her. “Mr. and Mrs. Waters?” “I guess?” I said.

What?! All I could do was raise my eyebrows and wonder why the frick couldn’t a simple yes do? And why didn’t the hostess’s actually confirm it was them? Either you are Mr. and Mrs. Waters, or you're not.

Another thing that bothered me was when Hazel and Augustus were texting each other and when she continued to just say “Okay”, even after he playfully said to stop flirting with her, she continued. Everything about her bugged the frick out of me.



Augustus: I liked Augustus a lot more than I did Hazel. He seemed like a cool, funny guy. Although, he sometimes came off as dull and some of the things he said made me roll my eyes.

He’s seventeen years old (remember that, I’m going to bring it up in a minute) and he speaks like he’s a freaking Shakespeare. His metaphor, the way he talked about death and especially the way he told Hazel he loved her..it made me stop and wonder, what kind of girl would find him all “amazing and poetic?


“I'm in love with you," he said quietly.
"Augustus," I said.
"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

To me, that is not romantic whatsoever. It felt like he wrote it down and rehearsed it in front of a mirror twenty times.  I can barely go up to someone and say hello without stuttering and this guy already has a freaking speech in less than two seconds.


“There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.”




Yes, cancer is a terrible, sad disease, but this book, it's just not believable for me.  And for people to cry over such a poorly written book, it's mind boggling. I'm just hoping the movie will be better than the book. 


Thanks for reading and don't forget to comment and let me know your opinion of The Fault in Our Stars! 




Happy reading!




4 comments :

  1. I haven't had a chance to pick this one up, and I've been avoiding it because I often do that with books that will probably make me cry. I appreciate your honesty! And I love the gif of the little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Meradeth! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! If you ever get around to reading it, I'd love to know your opinion on it. Haha, I love it too; it's my favorite gif! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book too but I actually liked it. I didn't cry like it seems everyone else on the face of the planet did but I like how John Green put a twist on the typic love story. Atleast Gus was willing to tell Hazel how he felt instead of typic love stories that the characters act like they hate each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you ended up liking it. Yeah..don't know why people cried when reading it. I found that to be silly, haha. Yeah, I think that part was really sweet. I would agree on that as well. Most love stories have the two main characters with a hate/love relationship. Thank you for stopping by and happy holidays! :)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!